Sunday 19 January 2014

Eerie Oude Schip - Sandy Bay

This morning I drove to Hout Bay and walked along the Rocket Way, down to Oude schip and along the coast to Sandy Bay.
A nearly full moon was setting in the morning light. Slowly she is fading away.


A strong cool breeze made it difficult to take makro pictures.  It made the flower look like burning in short lived flames. 



On the way down I saw this flowers arranged in a bouquet like for a funeral.


A deadly spider is waiting for its catch.


It is low tide and I can cross over to the Oude Schip peninsula. The barge ran aground 20 years ago, now stuck and slowly rusting away.


The rocks belong to the oystercatcher.


This is an eerie place. The wreck of the "Harvest Capella" lies upside down on the rocks.


A stone hippo guards this end of the world. A stern warning "Don't go further".


This is a burial ground for seals.


I am glad to leave, crossing the isthmus towards safer ground.


After a while I reach beautiful Sandy Bay. A skinny dip in the icy crystal clear sea washes away the dark feelings.



  











No comments:

Post a Comment

Connecting to the Rocks

  When I swim in the sea, I am close to and surrounded by the granite boulders which are so typical for the Cape coast. The rocks are calmin...